Memorial Cyber Attack + MC Move-In + This Week In Marietta
Morning folks! Read about what’s up in today’s Marietta Daily.
First, what the next three days of weather look like:
- Tuesday: There will likely be a stray thunderstorm in the evening. High of 82, low of 68.
- Wednesday: Showers and thunderstorms. High of 81, low of 70.
- Thursday: Possible light rain overnight. High of 83, low of 68.
Cheapest gas in town:
- Speedway on Seventh Street, $2.97.
- Kroger on Acme Street, $2.97.
- GetGo on Pike Street, $2.97.
- Speedway on Second Street, $2.99.
- Marathon on Pike Street, $2.99.
For a full list click here.
- The average gas price in Ohio today is $3.02.
Here are the top stories today in Marietta:
- Memorial Health System was the target of a cyber attack. It appears to be a ransomware hack, meaning the hack could have been an attempted extortion. CEO Scott Cantley says there’s no indication that patient records were hacked. (Marietta Patch)
- Marietta College students are moving back in, and they’re required to wear masks indoors. (WTAP)
- Marietta Mayor Josh Schlicher talks about what’s going on in Marietta this week. He discussed the sewer settlement, going back to school, and the soon-to-be-created Police Advisory Board. (Marietta Patch)
Today in Marietta
- James Backus exhibit opening and lecture. (2 p.m.)
Upcoming Marietta Events:
- Third Thursday talk at The Castle. (7 p.m.)
- Music in the Park Marietta Thursday. (7 p.m.)
- Free portrait drawing class this Saturday with Steve Morningstar. (1 p.m.)
- Sparkly Ladies Night in Marietta this Saturday. (8 p.m.)
Today’s Marietta Daily is brought to you by Ring, makers of home alarm systems. Ring alarm systems start as low as $199, and Ring offers free advice by phone on how to set up a system in your own home. Click here to learn more. Thank you Ring for helping to make local news happen in Marietta!
From our local sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
And KMA Auto. In the market for a car or golf cart?
Marietta Patch Notebook
- Marietta College: “Welcome home, Class of 2025! We’re so excited to see you!” (Facebook)
- Harmar Village – Marietta, Ohio: “Ohio River’s Movie Roll Before he was known as Goldie Hawn’s life partner – before he became a leading actor.” (Facebook)
- Humane Society of the Ohio Valley – HSOV: “Whopper is an awesome 1-year old male Rottweiler who was brought to the HSOV on August 15, 2021.” (Facebook)
- Marietta City Schools – Marietta, Ohio: “Yes, we know Monday’s can be tough, as we’ve said.” (Facebook)
- Rotary Club of Marietta District 6690: “Thanks to Dave Bricker and Microtel for hosting our Past President’s breakfast.” (Facebook)
- Washington County Sheriff’s Office – Marietta, Ohio: “On 11 Aug 2021 Deputy Painter was patrolling SR 7 and SR 339 and issued citations to Rylee D Campbell, Cambridge.” (Facebook)
- Marietta Area Chamber of Commerce: “Right back at it with Business After Hours! Join us at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Marietta this week.” (Facebook)
- Memorial Health System: “COVID-19 cases are on the rise nationwide. Protect yourself and loved ones as much as possible by getting vaccinated!” (Facebook)
- Marietta Ohio: “Council Committee 8-16-21.” (Facebook)
That’s it for today. I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update! If you’re loving these newsletters, consider bringing some more friends and neighbors into the fold. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Christopher Schmitt
About me: Hey there, I’m the community publisher for Patch.com/marietta. I’ve lived in Marietta for most of my life. I graduated from Ohio University’s E.W. Scripps School of Journalism in 2014. I wrote for a community newspaper before moving to New York to be a national correspondent for iHeartRadio. I’m looking forward to bringing my experience back home with me and providing Marietta with the outstanding journalism she deserves. You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 740-516-4969.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Marietta Daily? Reach out anytime to [email protected].