T-Mobile says it has been hit by cyber attack
Washington, Aug 16 (EFE).- United States mobile operator T-Mobile said Monday it had been the victim of a cyber attack, without offering data on its scope or the number of customers it could have been affected.
In a statement, T-Mobile said there was “unauthorized access” to company data, adding that it had not yet been verified that personal data of customers had been leaked.
The company said it is working with the security forces to find out what happened, but warned that the investigation may take time despite the fact that it is working with the “greatest degree of urgency.”
Hackers told the Motherboard technology portal Sunday they had accessed the personal data of 100 million people through T-Mobile’s servers.
According to Motherboard, the cybercriminals are asking for a ransom of six bitcoins (about $ 270,000) in exchange for the data, which supposedly includes names, addresses, driver’s license numbers and other personal information.
T-Mobile has declined to confirm whether the hackers are asking for a ransom and has also not detailed what data they might have accessed.
This latest cyber attack comes after a year full of cyber attacks, such as the one in May against the main US oil pipeline, Colonial, which caused fuel shortages in several eastern states of the country, including Carolina del North, Virginia and Washington DC, the most affected.
In May, JBS, the world’s largest meat processor, suffered another cyber attack, and in July there was another attack on Kaseya, a software company serving more than 40,000 organizations around the world. EFE